John Wolf has posted a new announcement for the community IDOE - Indiana Literacy Liaisons...Read On, Indiana! This post is directly from the Learning Connection Community. If you have not yet joined the community--it has valuable resources! Check it out!
Text Complexity: Introducing the Concept and How It Can Be Used To Strengthen Instruction Learn About Text Complexity
1. Introduction to Text Complexity From NYC DOE http://vimeo.com/27251914
2. Complex Text and Its Implications in the Classroom, Dr Timothy Shanhan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dL1AuuE93M&feature=player_embedded
3. Read "The Challenge of Challenging Text" by Timothy Shanahan, Douglas Fisher and Nancy Frey http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/mar12/vol69/num06/The-Challenge-of-Challenging-Text.aspx
4. Read about Text Complexity in Appendix A http://www.corestandards.org/assets/Appendix_A.pdf
Try It Out
5. Explore Quantitative Lexile Measures Sample Tool Choose a piece of grade-level text you use in your classroom. Use The Lexile Analyzer® to submit text to determine the Lexile measure. NOTE : Save the document you want analyzed as a plain text file (.txt). Then submit.
6. Webinar Focused on Sharing Tools and Resources to Support Teachers and Districts on Text Complexity by CCSSO http://www.ccsso.org/Resources/Digital_Resources/The_Common_Core_State_Standards_Supporting_Districts_and_Teachers_with_Text_Complexity.html