Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Handwriting

As you know, handwriting standards are not found within the Common Core.  While the Valparaiso Community Schools have yet to make any changes to the curriculum in terms of handwriting, there is an interesting conversation to be had about the purpose of handwriting.  Here's an article Kevin Cessna passed along to me the other day which stimulated some of my thinking:

http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2012/01/25/18handwriting_ep.h31.html?tkn=TSCCONY7f8plNvHxIAjSVBjW8JDczcsw8GzJ&cmp=clp-sb-ascd

As a teacher, I was not a big stickler on handwriting.  I rarely take notes by hand.  I do use sticky notes (often covering large portions of my desk!), but those are notes to myself of tasks to accomplish and calls to return.  In my everyday life, I rarely communicate using a pen and paper.

Does this mean that it holds no instructional value for kids?  I don't think I'm ready to draw that conclusion.  I think this article does a great job at highlighting some of the benefits.  I think there's a lot more to come on this discussion as studies continue and as we shift to using the Common Core in all grade levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment